Positive Effects of caffeine-
◦ Lowers blood glucose levels and improves insulin sensitivity
◦ Decreases risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease
◦ Increase mental alertness and energy
◦ Improves mood and decreases depression◦ Can improve athletic performance/ endurance capacity
Excess caffeine can cause negative effects such as-
◦ Increased blood pressure, heart palpitations
◦ Can cause anxiety, nervousness and sleep problems
◦ Can become dependent and experience withdrawal symptoms such as headache and fatigue
◦ Can cause acid-reflux (from coffee)◦ Can cause adrenal fatigue
For a healthy, non-acidic, natural and detoxifying alternative to coffee, try Dandy Blend (found at Black Forest Acres in Hamilton). It is made from the root of dandelion and has a delicious coffee flavor and aroma, without the harmful side effects!
Judith E. Brown (2011) Nutrition Now. Cengage Learning, Belmont Ca.